Friday, July 20, 2007

Decisions & Coincidences

Sometimes I wonder whether everyone has a problem in taking a stand or making a decision or is it just me. Some people I guess are just better at decision making than the others but eventually everyone in life has to make a decision. Now the question arises “How does one go about arriving at a decision?” considering that the future impact of the decisions cannot be predicted. Does one assume the attitude –I’ll do my best and let GOD take care of the rest. Meaning that I do not know the future but since God has coincidently shown me this path I shall follow it and hope that the almighty is prodding me in the right direction, in other words being “Fatalistic.”
On the other hand one can have the attitude “I will choose my path no matter what happens.” There is no coincidence in the fact that this particular path was chosen and despite any obstacle’s I will continue to tread this path to attain my goal. What does one do if in this set path (set by yourself) of your life you have an option of taking a diversion- a different set of choices which is also tempting? This is the bifurcation of the path in to 2 choices, both equally tempting, both leading perhaps to greatness, fame or fortune. I strongly believe that whenever there’s a choice of turn in the road of your life, there’s an indication in the form of a coincidence that this is the way to go.
Consider a scenario where you are considering a short much needed vacation but can decide neither the place nor the time. In the meanwhile a friend of yours calls up to chat and say’s “Hey have you been to Kasauli?” A coincidence, that helps you to decide where to go. Another scenario- You’re at the train station when you decide you are in dire need of a coffee, consequently you miss the train and the train crashes. Sheer Coincidence. I guess decisions and coincidences pretty much go hand in hand or at least to a degree interdependent. It would be a good exercise to identify the coincidences in your life. A good book on this topic (coincidence) is Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield.

No comments: